How Do I Teach a Doubting Child the Gospel?

  
Doubting Thomas - Caravaggio
     I had been having many concerns about teaching spirituality to my eldest son. My husband and I can pretty cynical, so not surprisingly, our son is too.
     I wondered how I was going to teach him in a way that he could believe it, when it doesn't come as naturally to me as I'd like.
      As I pondered my concerns one night, I turned on my computer and was about to search for any ideas on how others, especially psychologists recommended approaching the subject, however I suddenly got the impression that I should be turning instead to the One who knew best. After earnestly praying, I felt that I could turn to my scriptures/general conference talks for guidance. This is the passage I opened to through guidance:
      “Sometimes the most powerful way to teach our children to understand a doctrine is to teach in the context of what they are experiencing right at that moment. These moments are spontaneous and unplanned and happen in the normal flow of family life. They come and go quickly, so we need to be alert and recognize a teaching moment when our children come to us with a question or worry, when they have problems getting along with siblings or friends, when they need to control their anger, when they make a mistake, or when they need to make a decision.

     If we are ready and will let the Spirit guide in these situations, our children will be taught with greater effect and understanding.
     Just as important are the teaching moments that come as we thoughtfully plan regular occasions such as family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, and other family activities.
In every teaching situation all learning and all understanding are best nurtured in an atmosphere of warmth and love where the Spirit is present.”
Teaching Out Children to Understand by  Cheryl A. Esplin

0 comments:

Post a Comment